Occupy Movement (3)
By Colette On April 22, 2013 | 0 Comments
Help us reach our goal of 5000 boosts by midnight April 25!
Hello Cool World is excited to be working on the media relations for Occupy Love, an inspiring new documentary from award-winning Canadian filmmaker Velcrow Ripper (Scared Sacred, Fierce Light). Occupy Love explores the cultural uprisings of our time from the Occupy Movement and Arab Spring to the European Summer and environmental protests and asks the question, “How could the crisis we are facing become a love story?”.
Check out the trailer HERE.
Occupy Love is being self-distributed by a talented team led by Velcrow and producers Nova Ami and Ian Mackenzie. Their crowd sourced, social media driven approach to distribution is consistent with the theme of the film, which successfully raised $80,000 through the crowd-funding platforms IndieGoGo and Kickstarter!
The global response to the film has been amazing with over 200 grassroots screenings being self-organized by individuals and organizations in over 25 countries, and more being added every day. The largest community screening so far took place in Porto Allegre, Brazil on April 11th attracting a whopping 1,500 attendees!
We look forward to watching the momentum grow!
Occupy Love marks the completion of Velcrow's Fierce Love Trilogy, a twelve-year journey which began with Scared Sacred, named one of Canada’s Top 10 movies of 2004, and winner of the 2005 Genie (Canadian Academy Award) for best feature documentary. It continued with 2008′s award winning Fierce Light: When Spirit Meets Action. (We've got a special to buy both these DVDs on our webstore for 40% off.)
We worked on outreach and DVD production for Scared Sacred. As with our work with The Corporation, and The Take, we've been inspired by how films with a social message, can find audiences and inspire those audiences to action. All these films are available on our webstore, and all our profits go to our campaigns, and now also to the distribution platform for social cause media we are developing. Check out our proposal to CFC's IdeaBOOST program, and please BOOST us, our dream is to better help films like Occupy Love engage with audiences, and to encourage audiences to organize actions as well as screenings.
Occupy Love is a moving, transformative, heartfelt film, featuring Ripper’s signature stunning visuals and rich soundscapes along with interviews from leading visionaries including Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, Jeremy Rifkin, bell hooks and Charles Eisenstein.
The Occupy Love US theatrical tour starts Friday, May 3, 2013 in New York City, with screenings and special events to follow in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Seattle.
Coming to Canadian theatres starting June 2013! Check out more screenings and opportunities to get involved after the page break...
, Activism & Protests
, Alternative Economics
, Arts and Culture
, Climate Change
, Film Launch
, First Nations
, Hello Cool World
, Local Events and Parties
, Middle East
, Naomi Klein
, Occupy Movement
, Poverty and Economic Justice
, Social Justice
, The Corporation
By Sandy Haksi On January 20, 2012 | 2 Comments
Colette joined Hello Cool World team back in 2003 and was a key organizer for The Corporation and The Take's grassroots outreach efforts across North America.
After being inspired by the organizing and awareness building potential of the internet and social issue films, she returned to school to study Communications and sharpen her skills.
Once graduating, Colette returned to Hello Cool World once again as a grassroots campaign consultant. She is now the Director of Distribution for Hello Cool World's new fair trade distribution arm.
We've (finally!) released another issue of our News of the Cool e'Zine. The release is timed to coincide with today's Occupy the Courts national day of protest, and includes articles on Joel Bakan's new book — Childhood Under Siege — with a review by Occupy Parenting's Eric Curren, as well as pieces on tackling corporate giants and social branding. We also did a short Occupy-themed vlog that ties it all together. Check it out below and please share it!
In the vlog, Joel Bakan talks about corporate personhood and how the Occupy movement is really a call to be a citizen, with all the rights and duties that entails. Hello Cool World founder Katherine Dodds discusses how branding can be used for social good and not just to maximize profits, and Move to Amend's Steve Justino gives us some background on Occupy The Courts.
By Bella Sie On December 09, 2011 | 0 Comments
Sandy Haksi is the Web Campaign Manager and Sr. Writer at Good Company Communications.
Thank you to all those who went to see Surviving Progress during it's opening week! The film was such a success in Vancouver and Toronto, it's being held over in both cities!
In Vancouver, Surviving Progress will continue playing at The Rio from December 9-15, and it will begin playing at Denman Cinemas from December 16-22, everyday at 7pm.
In Toronto, Surviving Progress will continue playing at Cumberland Four until December 22.
Please remember that you can contribute to the success of Surviving Progress by liking it's page on Facebook, following @surv_progress on twitter, and tweeting #SurvivingProgress to stay involved in the conversation.
Tweet Cheat Sheet
- #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) will be playing at #DenmanCinema in #Vancouver Dec 16-22! Showtimes: http://bit.ly/vsxfRu
- #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) will be held over for a THIRD week at Cumberland Four in #Toronto! Showtimes: http://t.co/GFT3Pxs8
- @briandjohnson reviews #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) in Macleans: http://t.co/hk789dEa
- #SurvivingProgress is getting rave reviews! Read the latest blog from @CorporationFilm:http://t.co/vUeLsU6c @surv_progress @alliancefilms
- Is Wall Street killing the environment? Read "The Road to #SurvivingProgress" by @leirenyoung http://bit.ly/sDcRdh @surv_progress
- Director @mathroy discusses what leads to societal collapse in @Nowtorontohttp://bit.ly/rBPQ2S #SurvivingProgress @surv_progress
- "In #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress), civilization should be viewed as an experiment" -- @georgiastraight http://bit.ly/vziou5
- @mathroy & HaroldCrooks talk to Tribute at #TIFF about #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) http://t.co/gs9qiYFh
- "#SurvivingProgress probes humanity's march to the brink" via @VancouverSun Read more: http://bit.ly/rRhBpi @surv_progress
- Listen to @mathroy talk about #SurvivingProgress on @cbcradio http://t.co/Cexa8Vkuand remember to follow @surv_progress
- First Financial Insights Inc: #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) "Most Important Film in Decades" http://bit.ly/sbmsXK
- @inmovies writes about #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) directed by @mathroy & Harlod Crooks http://bit.ly/tPaCLp
- "Provocative, brainy, visually arresting, disturbing." #SurvivingProgress (@surv_progress) http://bit.ly/vzMT3s
Every mouse click used to copy/paste a tweet, or share a link helps!
For info on Surviving Progress, keep reading after the jump.
Bella is the newest addition to Hello Cool World, enlisting for the cause at the end of 2010. A graduate of BCIT's Broadcast Communications for TV program, she's worked in all aspects of production and has a knack for new media & technology. |